Last weekend we celebrated PT’s birthday. His big day fell on a Saturday, making for a very lazy morning in bed! Although if truth be told I don’t think he needs an excuse to sleep in on the weekends. 😉
Lazy mornings deserve something sinfully good for breakfast! Yep, I know you agree! As he loves muffins…… and I have never seen him pass up chocolate….. what would be better than making chocolate muffins?
Only problem was that I decided to do this at 11 pm on Friday night, and I didn’t have all of the ingredients. Bummer!!! There was no way that I was making a Kroger run at that time, nor was I going to venture out in the early morning. This girl loves to stay in her pj’s as long as possible on the weekends!! Seriously……I have been known to stay in them all day!! The one thing you will not find me doing is going to the grocery store in my pajamas.
No way! No can do! Just not going to happen!
Not judging those that do, but you will never see me strolling out of my house (except to the mailbox) in my pj’s!
I hit pay dirt when I found a box of chocolate cake mix in the pantry. AWESOME!! Yes, it is cheating……but at this point I was so happy I did a little dance in the kitchen!
It is not like I was cheating on a test. It is a cake mix……..and muffins!
The only problem with using a cake mix is that there is a high probability of them tasting like cake! Or rather a “naked” cupcake! This was for breakfast…..not dessert!
I twisted up the ingredients a bit to make these a little less cake like and more dense in texture. I reduced the amount of eggs and water that the box called for, and added in a secret ingredient……greek yogurt! I was striving for the batter to be the consistency of peanut butter. I was able to achieve this by reducing the amount of water I used……. only 3 Tbsp of water. If you feel you need more, just add in the water 1 Tablespoon at a time.
Oh yeah, I also threw in a half cup of mini chocolate chips……and sprinkled some on top! Just because they needed a little more chocolate!! 😉
These muffins are the perfect blend of super moist interior with just a hint of crust on its rounded top! Love in every bite!! 😉
What is your “cheater” recipe?
- 1- 18.5 oz Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp water
- ⅓ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place liners in a 12 cup muffin tin. If you don't have any liners, just spray the pan with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, oil, water and yogurt until thoroughly combined. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup ⅔ of the way full, and top with more chocolate chips (optional). Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in a covered container for 2-3 days.