Today I am teaming up with some amazing foodie bloggers to give you all this sinfully delicious Valentine Dessert Roundup! Can you guess my contribution???
Do you do anything special for Valentine’s Day, or is it one of those ‘manufactured’ holidays that have totally gone by the wayside in your family?
PT and I haven’t celebrated this day for as long as I can remember. I have always done something special for the boys’, whether it be baking their favorite treats, making pancakes before school or slipping them an Itunes gift card …… before they found online sites with tons of free music that is! =) Isn’t it sad that he and I stopped celebrating this day? I know when and why we stopped, we were broke after Brandon was born. It was one of the easiest and quickest ways to save a little money. I know we are not alone in making decisions like that one. Why should we spend a lot of money on one commercialized holiday when we should be showing each other how we feel about them every day? Right?
Actually, I think Valentine’s day was derived from a long ago woman who was feeling just a tad bit deprived. Her honey was not showing her enough love, attention and thoughtfulness…..figured others were in her same boat….and declared that February 14 would be the day of love! Totally not true….but a good story, eh?!
In regards to Valentine’s Day, I do think PT and I need to bring back the meaning behind this hearts and flowers day. It is kind of like Mother’s/Father’s Day. Our parents know that we adore them and love them, but we don’t tell them often enough. The same can be said about Valentine’s Day. We should be telling our spouses’ that we appreciate and love them 365 days out of the year….but we don’t. We take them for granted! This one day of the year is basically a chance to shower love on the one person who means the most to us!!
Not only will I be planning something special for PT this year, but I will be making these Special K Bars for him as well. These are to die for!
*Red Alert* Even though they are made with Special K cereal, there is nothing healthy about them. They are loaded with ingredients called corn syrup, sugar and peanut butter. You will not be able to stop at just one!
This is why I haven’t made them in over 16 years. They are addicting……certifiable ‘crack’ for a chocolate and peanut butter lovers. You all know that I will make these Special K Bars for him, and then promptly ‘lose’ the recipe for another 16 years! 😉
What are your plans for Valentine’s Day? Do you boycott it like we did for years and years?
Would love to hear some unique ideas to tell PT I love and adore him!!!
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups peanut butter
- 8 cups Special K cereal
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 6 oz butterscotch chips
- Spray a 13x9 inch pan with canola spray. Set aside.
- In large stock pan, heat the corn syrup and sugar on low until just bubbly. Be patient, this can take upwards of 5-8 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and add in the peanut butter, stirring until smooth. Add in the Special K cereal and mix until cereal is fully coated. Spread into prepared pan, using your hands or a back of a spoon to evenly distribute cereal mixture. Set aside to cool.
- While the bars are cooling, you can prepare the topping. Melt the shortening, semi sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a small pan on low heat. Once the chips are melted and smooth (you will need to stir these constantly), remove from heat and pour over the Special K Bars, spreading with a spoon to cover. Set aside until ready to serve. If it is a hot day, you may need to refrigerate them.
- Store leftovers tightly covered.
Please take a moment and check out these other fantastic Valentine’s recipes from these fabulous bloggers! You can also follow along with hashtag #foodelicious on Pinterest and Twitter……..
Mooshu Jenne – Blood Orange Panna Cotta
Call Me PMC – Red Velvet Cookie Dough Truffles
The Baking Fairy – Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes for Two
Homegrown & Healthy – Valentine’s Day Chocolate Hand Pies
Pary Moppins – Valentine’s Kisses
Savvy In The Kitchen – Nutella Cheesecake Bars
A Conquered Mess – White Chocolate Raspberry Bark
Little Family Adventure – Strawberry Soup
Life a Little Brighter – Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart
Bespangled Jewelry – Valentine’s Day Strawberry Brownie
Tempting Thyme – Special K Bars