Want something a little bit different for your Super Bowl party this coming weekend……this Cheesy Beer Dip will certainly fit the bill! Can you believe it is only a week away? I hope the weather holds out, as I am already hearing grumbling from my guys if it ends up being played on a Monday, or sometime during the week. Honestly, I can’t even tell you who is playing. My Saints were beaten, and I lost all interest. Is one of your teams still in it? How do you feel about them playing in New York?
You might not know this about me, but I cannot stand the taste of beer. Even the smell of it can make me cringe! I know, I know……I cook with it all the time…….. Go figure! Anyway, the smell of beer brings me right back to the TKE basement at Purdue, where the kegs were always plentiful and the floors always sticky. Wait a minute while I do a little shudder and wrinkle up my face. Eww!!!
A co-worker keeps telling me that they have really made some advancements to beer and that I just haven’t tried the right one. I say….unless it tastes tart and fruity and has a little umbrella sticking out of it, she could keep her advanced beer.
With that being said, I love to COOK with beer!
You can often find it in my chili (Big Batch Chili), and will even dredge my chicken and veggies (Zucchini Fries) in it before baking. Not all the time, but certainly on occasion and on a whim! And don’t get me started on how good Beer Bread is. Now that I think of it, I am going to have to make some beer bread, AND dunk it in this cheesy beer dip. Oh my, that would be awesome!
Yes, I like my carbs. Keep fighting it, and am still the loser in this constant battle. =)
Getting back to this dip and recipe. I wanted something different from the standard cheese and salsa combination. Overdone and overplayed in my opinion. Never was a fan of it……which is probably a good thing for my waste line! I looked all over the internet, but didn’t find anything that truly struck my fancy until I came across Becky’s recipe over at Mrs. Bettie Rocker (what an awesome name for her blog!!!) I first made it a year ago for our New Year’s Eve Party, and have been making it ever since. Occasionally I throw in a few different ingredients (especially when I don’t have everything on hand and do not feel like running to Kroger’s), but all in all the recipe stays the same.
Do you host or attend a Super Bowl party? What is the one item that has to be served every year?
’til next time…….. Shaunna
- 2 (8 oz pkgs) Cream Cheese
- 16 oz Velveeta Cheese
- 5 green onion, chopped small
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder (in a pinch I have used 1 clove garlic, minced)
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 12 oz can of beer…..whatever you have on hand
- Dash or two of Tabasco sauce
- In a small crock pot bowl (if it doesn’t come off the base, you will need to use a microwavable bowl) combine cream cheese, Velveeta, garlic, Tabasco and red pepper flakes. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir to combine. Add in the green onions and heat another 3 minutes, or until melted.
- Transfer the bowl from the microwave into the crock pot and set to low heat. Add beer and stir to combine. Dip will be ready in about 30 minutes. Serve with soft pretzels, breadsticks, cut up bagels or tortilla chips.